EASY ACCESS
ABOUT ASLAN CEMENT


It has been over a century since the establishment of ASLAN CEMENT INC., the first plant of Turkish Cement Industry.

Participated by OYAK in 2009, Aslan Cement was incorporated on 20 December 1910 with the title "Memalik-i Osmaniyye'de Sun'i Cimento ve Hidrolik Kirec Imalina Mahsus Arslan Osmanli Anonim Sirketi" and is the first cement plant of Turkey.

Established with an annual capacity of 20.000 Tons, the plant merged with Eskihisar Cement Plant nearby in 1919, and was named Aslan ve Eskihisar Cimento ve Su Kireci Anonim Sirketi. Following Turkish War of Independence, the company offered all of its shares to public, becoming a real publicly-held corporation; and, having added a new furnace to its capacity in 1926, it increased its annual capacity up to 40.000 Tons and started a major party of the country’s need. Having temporarily ceased production due to a fuel bottleneck during the Second World War, the plant restarted activity in 1947.

As the earliest local pioneers and supporters of technological developments and improvement thrusts throughout the world in the second half of the twentieth century, the plant commissioned the first two furnaces in 1953 and the third furnace in 1956, increasing the annual capacity up to 300.000 tons.

With the impact of gradually improving technical and economic conditions, all of the three furnaces operating with wet system was transformed into dry system. Finally, the plant has become a modern facility producing 500.000 tons of cement per year. As a result of modernization since 1978 till today, the factory has reached capacity of 1.25 million tons of clinker and 2 million tons of cement grinding in annual base.

"ASLAN" CULTURE IN TURKISH CEMENT INDUSTRY

The book titled "Ilk Cimento Fabrikamizin Oykusu" (The Story of Our First Plant), which was prepared following a comprehensive study carried out by academicians for 5 years in cooperation with Turkish Historical Society, and published in 2004 and updated in 2013, manifests on basis of miscellaneous historical information and documents that Aslan Cement is of specific importance in not only Turkish Cement Industry but also Turkish History of Economics.

The mentioned information and documents evidence that Aslan Cement has been a model for the industry both with its product and service quality and corporate culture by supplying building products for many important structures in our country as well as its history over a century. Two anecdotes in the book are remarkable in these aspects.

Ilhan Ersanli, a contractor of the First Bosphorus Bridge constructed in 1973, reports:
"The Highways Administration had one rule. Cement used to be supplied by to the European side of Istanbul by Zeytinburnu and Ak Cement, and to the other side by Kartal and Darica plants. - While the construction of the bridge was in progress -, I spoke to the British Chief Engineer, and Aslan Cement sent its product to an analysis. It was chosen the 4th among top best cement brands of the world, and the product of Aslan Cement was used on both piers of the bridge. This means that the the Highways Administration no more relied on their tradition, they used Aslan Cement product on both Beylerbeyi and Ortakoy piers of the bridge.

Having acted as the general manager of the plant for many years, Cengiz Ozdemir reports:
"Aslan Cement has brought the latest technology to Turkish Cement Industry including, for instance, closed stock hall, Loesche mill, automatic sampling and sending system, X-ray spectrometer which are great innovations. They also installed precalcination plant for the first time in Turkey. In addition to these innovations in the industry, farsightedness of plant executives is also of significance. They pioneered the foundation of the Manufacturers Association and Employers Union. These are outstanding advantages brought by the former generation."

Some of the major structures in which products of Aslan Cement are used include the Bosphorus Bridge, Ataturk Cultural Center, Cubuk Dam, Ataturk Airport, Sabiha Gokcen Airport, Kinali - Sakarya Highway, Formula 1 Track, ongoing project of Usküdar – Sancaktepe Subway Line and Via Port Marin structures.

MORE


WORLD BRAND COMES TO DARICA: THE COMPANY IS INTEGRATED TO LAFARGE GROUP


Following integration of the plant in 1989 to Lafarge Group, which is the biggest cement manufacturer of the world, more emphasis has been laid on technological development, environment, human resources and training.

Standing as a special and prestigious company with its production, management and human resources quality both in Turkey and among 122 cement plants of Lafarge Cement in 43 countries, Aslan Cement has played a role as "a leading corporation bringing innovations to the industry", using the worldwide experience of Lafarge Group dating back to almost two centuries ago.

FIRST PRACTICES BROUGHT BY ASLAN CEMENT


Aslan Cement demonstrated its environment - friendly approach as the first plant having obtained a Type – A Emission Licence in Turkish cement industry in January 1998. Along with high international standards implemented in field of Occupational Health and Safety, the company also played a leading role in the industry with their efforts such as OHSAS certification.

Another service brought by Aslan Cement to the industry for the first time is the Customer Service Line. Aslan Cement has provided technical service support for the industry since 1997 through their vehicles equipped as mobile laboratories.

With the "Customer - Oriented" approach of Aslan Cement which can be summarized as developing special products and solutions conforming to needs and expectations of customers, the first branded products of Turkish Cement Industry have also be offered to the market. With KARAT, the first branded bagged cement developed for plastering and walling applications, and CEMENTUM, the first branded bulk cement developed for ready-mix concrete and other industrial applications, and with POWERCEM that was launched soon after, Aslan Cement inaugurated the age of "branded cement conforming to purpose of use" in the industry.

EU APPROVAL ON PRODUCT QUALITY: CE CERTIFICATE


After ISO 9002 Quality Certificate taken from Lloyd’s accreditation company in 2000, Aslan Çimento took the authorization of using "CE Conformity Marking", which means "Conformity to Europe Norms" for PÇ 42,5 Type Cement, from French Afnor Certification foundation in June 2001. By means of this certificate, in 2001, PÇ 42,5 product of Aslan Çimento was accepted with great regard within borders of European Union, especially in Spain.

ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 Management Systems have been effectively used and certificated by Quality and Environment Council.

PIONEER IN SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY


Long standing existence of such a corporation depends on its integration with the social and economic environment as well as the qualifications of directors and employees, capacity of systems and equipment and quality of product and service.

Aslan Cement has been the most important source of employment for the local residents for about 3 generations, having become the center of attraction in terms of social and economic development. Aslan Cement set its seal on numerous social responsibility projects in the region from education to health. Examples of such activities of the plant include Darica Aslan Cement Industrial High School and Primary & Secondary School and the seminers, arranged in cooperation with Turkish Kidney Foundation, that increase the awareness of employees and local citizens about well-balanced nutrition & kidney health.

Being a centenarian member of Turkish Cement Industry, like the giant plane tree located in Darica, Aslan Cement joined to OYAK Cement Group by 30 December 2009. Since then, the company has been growing and developing within Group culture and sinergy.


Cement being poured into canvas
bags. (1933)
Assembly of new furnaces. The
building on the left containing
former furnaces, and Lime kilns on
the right. (1952)
Plant employees and press members
waiting for the President Mr. Celal
Bayar and the Prime Minister Mr.
Adnan Menderes. (12 April 1956)
Overhead view of the plant.
(12 April 1956)
       
The President Mr. Celal Bayar and
the Prime Minister Mr. Adnan
Menderes visiting the plant.
(12 April 1956)
Overview of the plant from the sea.
(mid 1970s)
New preheating system, Krupp
preheating towers not removed yet,
and homogenization tower.
(mid 1970s)
Overhead view of preheating tower
of the plant. (mid 1970s)